Re: [PERFORM] Quad processor options - summary

From: Paul Tuckfield <paul(at)tuckfield(dot)com>
To: Bjoern Metzdorf <bm(at)turtle-entertainment(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, James Thornton <james(at)jamesthornton(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Quad processor options - summary
Date: 2004-05-14 00:51:42
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

One big caveat re. the "SAME" striping strategy, is that readahead can
really hurt an OLTP you.

Mind you, if you're going from a few disks to a caching array with many
disks, it'll be hard to not have a big improvement

But if you push the envelope of the array with a "SAME" configuration,
readahead will hurt. Readahead is good for sequential reads but bad
for random reads, because the various caches (array and filesystem) get
flooded with all the blocks that happen to come after whatever random
blocks you're reading. Because they're random reads these extra
blocks are genarally *not* read by subsequent queries if the database
is large enough to be much larger than the cache itself. Of course,
the readahead blocks are good if you're doing sequential scans, but
you're not doing sequential scans because it's an OLTP database, right?

So this'll probably incite flames but:
In an OLTP environment of decent size, readahead is bad. The ideal
would be to adjust it dynamically til optimum (likely no readahead) if
the array allows it, but most people are fooled by good performance of
readahead on simple singlethreaded or small dataset tests, and get
bitten by this under concurrent loads or large datasets.