JOIN vs. LEFT JOIN

From: "Nico Callewaert" <callewaert(dot)nico(at)telenet(dot)be>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: JOIN vs. LEFT JOIN
Date: 2009-01-28 10:43:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi !

I heard that it is always better to use a full JOIN rather than a LEFT JOIN, for performance reasons. Is that correct ?
But it's barely possible to use full JOINS all the time, since most of the lookup fields are not required.
Example : in the customer table, the customer type is a looup field to a customer_type table. But that is not required to post the record. So I was thinking to create a record in the customer_type table with ID = -1. And in case the customer type is NULL, to assign it the value -1. That way, it will be always possible to do a full JOIN. I was wondering if that is good practice or rather nonsense ?

Many thanks in advance,
Nico