problem getting postgres 8.3.1 with xml support to work on Redhat Enterprise Linux 4

From: "Aswani Kumar" <Aswani(dot)Kumar(at)idinsight(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: problem getting postgres 8.3.1 with xml support to work on Redhat Enterprise Linux 4
Date: 2008-06-26 15:38:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello ,

We are trying to install Postgres 8.3.1 on a Redhat Entrprise Linux
Version 4 , but are facing issues with starting the database

The Postgres was built using ./configure
XML2_CONFIG=/usr/local/libxml/bin/xml2-config
--prefix=/usr/local/postgresql-8.3.1 --with-libxml. Libxml2-2.6.32 was
built using ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/libxml and is the location
pointed to in the Postgres configure script.

Postgres got installed without any problems but when I try to initdb I
get the following

[postgres(at)XXX bin]$ ./initdb -D ../data

fgets failure: Success

The program "postgres" is needed by initdb but was not found in the

same directory as "/usr/local/postgresql-8.3.1/bin/initdb".

Check your installation.

The Postgres program is there in the location, but when I try to run it
I get the following

[postgres(at)IDISTAGESQL1 bin]$ ./postgres

./postgres: relocation error: ./postgres: undefined symbol:
xmlIsBaseCharGroup

So I am assuming this to a problem with XML support for postgres. I
couldn't find any valid clue from searching for these and any help on
this would be appreciated.

I can get Postgres to work if I do not use the libxml option, but XML
support is the sole reason why we want to use the 8.3.1 version.

Thanks

Aswin Nair