Re: psql, pg_dumpall, remote server questions...

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com> <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql, pg_dumpall, remote server questions...
Date: 2005-09-13 17:44:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sep 13, 2005, at 11:15 AM, <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
<operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> i use pgadmin3 to admin my dev db. if i use pgadmin3
> to connect to the remote db, how can i be sure that
> the following migration rule of thumb is followed:
>
> 1. always use the most up to date database's psql
> program b/c it may have increased functionality.

I'm not sure what connection you are making between pgadmin3 and psql
-- those are two different programs.

If you connect using the SSH tunneling method I outlined, you are
always using whatever client program is on the local machine.

Perhaps the point of confusion is what configurations are possible
using SSH. You'll note that if you start SSH tunneling as I have
specified you also have a remote shell connection. If your host has
all of the PostgreSQL command line utilities installed, you can run
them directly from the shell you just opened. But note the important
distinction. If you run psql this way, it is running on remote host
and using the remote host file system. If you instead run psql on
your local machine and connect to the tunnel port, you are of course
using the local file system and executing the process on your local
machine. Both ways are useful depending on what you want to do.

If you are using a GUI program like pgAdmin3 or pgEdit, they are
always running locally using whatever version you have installed.
pgEdit uses psql, but it will only use the one stored on your local
drive. I think pgAdmin3 uses pg_dump and maybe other utilities -- it
will always be local versions that the GUI program can execute directly.

If this does not help, try clarify your question with more detail.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL