Re: Vote on Windows installer links

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date: 2009-07-08 20:16:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Le 8 juil. 09 à 19:34, Simon Riggs a écrit :
> "There is only one currently known Windows installer for PostgreSQL
> 8.4,
> and that can only be obtained by visiting an external commercial
> company's website: http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do
> Do you think this situation should be changed, if a reasonable
> alternative can be found? +1 means change, -1 means no change."

+1, BUT

It's hard to find a reasonable alternative it seems. I'd like the
windows installer to be hosted on our website and mirrors, but we
certainly can't do this with each and every binary distribution of
PostgreSQL, which is the job of packagers.

It seems we have the necessary infrastructure to host the installer.
The problem with generalizing to every binary package or installers
out there is to offer a simple way to update the stuff, or to have
community members (or scripts) to go check for new material at each
minor or major release and update accordingly.
Linking to OpenSource packaging efforts should remain accepted for
sake of simplicity, as long as the offering site isn't a commercial
one. Now packages.ubuntu.com isn't the canonical website, should it be
in the commercial or Open Source category?

And the following page tells "pgInstaller is maintained by Dave Page
and Magnus Hagander.", and does not tell where the sources are (see
second link) and does even forget to mention the installer's licence.
http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=edb-installers.git;a=summary

On the same vein, Devrim's work is payed by CommandPrompt, but I fail
to see the licence. But there's a difference with Tom maintaining the
RedHat packages which are a viable Open Source alternative. But on a
commercial website will you say?

It's a mess. The source is available under BSD licence, which
encourages this diversity and the commercial redistributions. The
project would prefer to offer at least the more visible and popular
installers under its own name, if possible...

Well I guess the pragmatic answer is: EnterpriseDB is maintaining
pginstaller, which happens to be the only installer for windows. It's
open source. If you want a project hosted installer, have a project
community member fork it and maintain it and distribute it under the
project's name and infrastructure. Good luck with that.
--
dim

PS: I'm lost.