Re: ssl connection and webstart

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Michael Andreasen *EXTERN*" <michael(at)dunlops(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ssl connection and webstart
Date: 2007-11-29 09:42:37
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Michael Andreasen wrote:
> I have a postgresql database up and running will ssl support
> in, this works fine.
>
> I have a certificate that I have added via the command line
> to my jvm. once this is added my applications connects via
> ssl to my database perfectly.
>
> However, what i really want to do is to deploy my application
> via webstart. In order to do this i would have though that
> the certificate needs to be added to the clients pc via the
> certificate manager which is part of the Java Plug/Webstart
> tool that exists in the control panel. I have tried repeated
> times to add the certificate this way, and although it seems
> to import fine, the application always fails and reports the
> same error as if there was no certificate. If I then manually
> add the cert to the vm using the command line tools it works!!!
>
> How can I add the cert via webstart so a "user" can do this?
>
> Anyone else tried ssl and webstart?

This is not a direct answer to your question, but do you really
want client certificates or are you just looking for some way
to connect with JDBC using SSL?

If it is the latter, you could save the effort of distributing
client certificates by using

sslfactory=org.postgresql.ssl.NonValidatingFactor

in the JDBC URL.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe