Re: [GENERAL] Undetected corruption of table files

From: "Albe Laurenz" <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Jan Wieck *EXTERN*" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane *EXTERN*" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Undetected corruption of table files
Date: 2007-08-31 12:34:09
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck wrote:
> Computing a checksum just before writing the block will NOT detect any

> faulty memory or Postgres bug that corrupted the block. You will have
> perfectly fine checksum over the corrupted data.
>
> A checksum only detects corruptions that happen between write and
read.
> Most data corruptions that happen during that time however lead to
some
> sort of read error reported by the disk.

I have thought some more about it, and tend to agree now:
Checksums will only detect disk failure, and that's only
one of the many integrity problems that can happen.
And one that can be reduced to a reasonable degree with good
storage systems.

So the benefit of checksums is not enough to bother.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe