Re: RFC: Timing Events

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Josh Berkus *EXTERN*" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Timing Events
Date: 2012-11-06 09:20:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Huh?  The typical use-case is to enable it for all sessions by
>> including it in shared_preload_libraries.  That doesn't require any
>> particular session to be superuser.  (If you're superuser you can then
>> turn it *off* in your session, should you wish.)
>
> It's not practical to have auto-explain on for all queries on a server
> which is processing 10K queries/minute.  And non-superusers can't alter
> the settings in their session, even the min_duration.
>
> A practical use of auto-explain would involve during it on for a single
> user session, or for a specific database user, neither of which are
> possible.

I think that Tom is right.

You can reduce the logging volume on busy servers with
auto_explain.log_min_duration.  You can also activate it for a single
database user only by setting log_min_duration to -1 globally and
change the setting for one user with ALTER ROLE SET, right?

And I am under the impression that parameters that influence
what is logged tend to be superuser only for a good reason
(the only exception I see are the debug_print_* parameters).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe