Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: New SQL functons pg_backup_in_progress() and pg_backup_start_tim

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Daniel Farina *EXTERN*" <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: New SQL functons pg_backup_in_progress() and pg_backup_start_tim
Date: 2012-06-18 07:22:32
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Daniel Farina wrote:
> After mulling over this some more, I am less on the fence about how
> unfortunate it is that Postgres cannot restart when doing an
> "exclusive" base backup: I think it is a severe anti-feature that
> should gradually be retired.

This anti-feature was introduced with
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-04/msg00275.php
following discussions
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-11/msg00800.php
and
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-03/msg01033.php

The problem (at least for me) is that without this the server will
often refuse to restart after a clean shutdown, namely when the
WAL segment containing the required checkpoint has already been
archived.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe