Suggestion for pgAgent

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Suggestion for pgAgent
Date: 2009-11-16 08:07:36
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dear hackers,

I asked this question on pgadmin-general before, and
there was no reply. Maybe this list is more appropriate.

When you configure an SQL job step, you can configure a database
on which the script should run, but you cannot specify a database user.

I'd like to define schedules for various database users, and
while it would be possible to work around the limitation by
writing some wrapper functions in the database, the best thing
from my perspective would be to enhance pgAgent (and pgAdmin III)
to support a database user that pgAgent uses to connect to
execute a certain job step.

Is that an option? I think it would be a valuable addition,
and it would alleviate one of the "security concerns" stated
in the documentation.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe