Re: There is a statistic table?

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "waldomiro *EXTERN*" <waldomiro(at)shx(dot)com(dot)br>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: There is a statistic table?
Date: 2009-10-16 06:27:58
Lists: pgsql-performance
waldomiro wrote:
> I need to know how much the postgres is going to disk to get
> blocks and how much it is going to cache? witch is the
> statistic table and what is the field that indicates blocks
> reads from the disk and the memory cache?

The view pg_statio_all_tables will show you the number of
disk reads and buffer hits per table.

There are other statistics views, see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/monitoring-stats.html#MONITORING-STATS-VIEWS

> Another question is, what is the best memory configuration to
> keep more data in cache?

That's easy - the greater shared_buffers is, the more cache you have.

Another option is to choose shared_buffers not too large and let
the filesystem cache buffer the database for you.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe