Re: Queries very slow and memory consumption too high

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Saurabh Dave *EXTERN*" <saurabhdave(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Queries very slow and memory consumption too high
Date: 2009-06-23 07:38:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Saurabh Dave wrote:
> "You'll have to analyze *what* is slow."
>
> That is an excellent question, which I am struggling to answer.
> As per your recommendation I moved DB Server on a remote
> machine and made following changes:
> 1. Postgres version 8.3.7.1 instead of 8.2
> 2. DB encoding changed from UTF-8 to SQL_ANSCII
>
> Now I see the performance of my application to be quite fast,
> I need to observe it for some more time though.
>
> But over the top, do you think that changing the encoding
> would make difference?

I don't think that this will have a big impact, and I wouldn't
do it if I were you. You want your database to be encoding-aware,
don't you? So I would change as little as possible in the setup,
in the hope that you can reproduce the slowdown.

Moving to 8.3.7 (what is 8.3.7.1?), on the other hand, is certainly
a good thing.

If your problem is something that develops over time, one thing
you could watch out for are resource leaks, most prominently
memory leaks.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe