Re: CPU load

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: <kiki(at)fesb(dot)hr>
Cc: "Scott Marlowe *EXTERN*" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CPU load
Date: 2008-09-26 12:52:33
Lists: pgsql-performance
kiki wrote:
> The number of rows returned by the query varies, right now is:
>
> 49 row(s)
> Total runtime: 3,965.718 ms
> The table currently has 971582 rows.
>
> But the problem is that when database server is restarted everything works
> fine and fast. No heavy loads of the processor and as time passes
> situation with the processor is worsen.

It would be interesting to know the result of EXPLAIN ANALYZE for the
query, both when it performs well and when it doesn't.

One thing I see right away when I look at your postgresql.conf is that
you have set shared_buffers to an awfully small value of 2000, when you have
enough memory on the machine (vmstat reports 2GB free memory, right?).

Does the situation improve if you set it to a higher value?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe