Re: Improve shutdown during online backup, take 4

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Alvaro Herrera *EXTERN*" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,"Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improve shutdown during online backup, take 4
Date: 2008-04-23 14:12:45
Lists: pgsql-patches
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I think the messages should not have a newline in the middle.
>
> Also, I am wondering if in PM_WAIT_BACKUP mode we should accept new
> connections from superusers only.

I spent some thought on that.
You'd need to wait until the user is authenticated before you can determine
if he/she is a superuser and may connect (otherwise I think it would be a
security leak that enables any attacker to find out whether a given user is
a superuser without knowing the password).

By that time the server process is already forked.
I couldn't see a way to check the postmaster state at that point,
so I decided not to try and keep it simple.

If you have any ideas how I could do such a check reasonably,
I'd be happy to try it, because basically I think it would be the
right thing.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe