Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Lauri Pietarinen" <lauri(dot)pietarinen(at)atbusiness(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL
Date: 2003-10-21 18:38:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This same average programmer will have the same difficulty with a pure,
orthogonal and mathematically rigorous language.

> 2) Relational (or SQL-) DBMS'es are just too slow
>
> If 2) then why don't we get a bit more concrete. Could you
> give an example of a query that in your experience would be
> too slow using a standard SQL database (e.g. Oracle, or
> MySQL). We could then actually try it out on some machine and
> compare. I suggest using the
> customer-order-order_detail-product database
>
> If 1) I would like to hear some concrete examples.

I once worked on a telephone customer support system that had 5 million
lines of C++ and 5 million lines of SQL. It was too complex for the
average person to comprehend.

There are always going to be some queries that are too slow. If you put
a key on everything, data modifications will go into the toilet. If you
lack a key on a field required for a filtered query, you will have a
table scan. Hence, there is no free lunch, and there will have to be
compromises. However, due to the exponential expansion of compute
power, the efficiency of SQL is the least of our worries. See this
link, it makes for excellent reading:
http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0134.html?printable=1