Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0007: Remove DoS in PostgreSQL

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Lamar Owen" <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Sir Mordred The Traitor" <mordred(at)s-mail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0007: Remove DoS in PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-08-26 18:23:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

An alarmist style when posting a serious error is a good idea.
"Hey guys, I found a possible problem..."
Does not seem to generate the needed level of excitement.
DOS attacks means that business stops. I think that should generate a
furrowed brow, to say the least.

> A simple 'Hey guys, I
> found a possible
> problem when.....' without the big-sounding fluff would sit
> better with me,
> at least. The substance of the message is perhaps valuable
> -- but the
> wrapper distracts from the substance.

As long as the needed data is included (here is how to reproduce the
problem...) I don't see any problem.

> And dealing with a real name would be nice, IMHO. Otherwise
> we may end up
> with 'SMtT' as the nickname -- Hmmm, 'SMitTy' perhaps? :-)
> Reminds me of
> 'Uncle George' who did quite a bit for the Alpha port and
> then disappeared.

If he wants to call himself 'Sir Modred' or 'Donald Duck' or 'Jack the
Ripper' or whatever, I don't see how it matters. He is providing a
valuable service by location of serious problems. These are the sort of
thing that must be addressed. This is the *EXACT* sort of information
that is needed to make PostgreSQL become as robust as Oracle,
SQL*Server, DB/2, etc.

Every free database engine project should be so lucky as to have a 'Sir
Modred'

IMO-YMMV.