Re: Small changes to facilitate Win32 port

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Small changes to facilitate Win32 port
Date: 2002-05-30 22:34:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Before you do that, realize that you are violating the implementation's
namespace, and your code is therefore not legal ANSI/ISO C.

From ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (E) ©ISO/IEC:

7.1.3 Reserved identifiers
1 Each header declares or defines all identifiers listed in its
associated subclause, and
optionally declares or defines identifiers listed in its associated
future library directions
subclause and identifiers which are always reserved either for any use
or for use as file
scope identifiers.
- All identifiers that begin with an underscore and either an uppercase
letter or another
underscore are always reserved for any use.
- All identifiers that begin with an underscore are always reserved for
use as identifiers
with file scope in both the ordinary and tag name spaces.
- Each macro name in any of the following subclauses (including the
future library
directions) is reserved for use as specified if any of its associated
headers is included;
unless explicitly stated otherwise (see 7.1.4).
- All identifiers with external linkage in any of the following
subclauses (including the
future library directions) are always reserved for use as identifiers
with external
linkage.154)
- Each identifier with file scope listed in any of the following
subclauses (including the
future library directions) is reserved for use as a macro name and as an
identifier with
file scope in the same name space if any of its associated headers is
included.