Re: Where did the Developer docs go?

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Where did the Developer docs go?
Date: 2011-12-06 15:59:44
Lists: pgsql-www

On Dec 6, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 20:53, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com> wrote:
>> One thing raised on IRC:
>>
>> Going
>> to http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-createtable.html will
>> actually redirect just to the index,
>> i.e. http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/
>>
>> If all the URLs map 1-1 should we setup a rewrite rule?
>
> It can be done. It was not done for two reasons:
> 1) then people will never update their bookmarks ;)

Unfortunately neither will Google or the other search engines, or blog posts linking to a feature in the development docs. (i.e. search "site:http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs" to see indexed pages) - from the user experience side that would be a bit frustrating.

Granted it's not like it's the stable docs where we do need that permanence, but I do think it's wise to make it easy for new users to find information, even if it means a few people do not update their bookmarks.

> 2) i'm not entirely sure everything is 1-1. In particular, I think
> there may well be files left over from old versions of postgres in the
> old one that people still link to. I guess they'd still just get a 404
> in a different place (on the new site), so reason two holds much less
> weight than the first one.

But since it is old and not up-to-date with the developer docs, then they should update their bookmarks. Or stop linking to an old feature ;-)

Jonathan