Re: encourging bitmap AND

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>, Ben <midfield(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: encourging bitmap AND
Date: 2011-01-02 21:00:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Dec 26, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> If you're doing interval queries enough to worry about having an index
> for them, you really want an indexing structure that is designed to do
> interval queries efficiently.

BTW, one way to accomplish that is to transform your data into geometric shapes and then index them accordingly. Prior to the work Jeff Davis has done on time intervals it was common to treat time as points and ranges as lines or boxes. While we no longer need to play those games for time, I don't think there's an equivalent for non-time datatypes.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net