Re: [HACKERS] Request from eWeek for 7.3 comments

From: David Wheeler <david(at)wheeler(dot)net>
To: Lisa_Vaas(at)ziffdavis(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Request from eWeek for 7.3 comments
Date: 2002-11-27 02:35:08
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

I am the maintainer and lead developer for Bricolage, an
enterprise-class open-source content management system built on a
PostgreSQL database. The Bricolage developers really look forward to
7.3's new features, which, like every release of PostgreSQL, set a new
standard against which other databases measure themselves.

Particularly important for Bricolage are the ability to drop columns
and the new support for prepared SQL statements. Every major release of
Bricolage requires changes to the database, often including the removal
or change of a table column. Now that PostgreSQL can drop columns,
future Bricolage upgrades can change database columns without leaving
deprecated columns in the database.

Furthermore, Bricolage runs in an Apache/mod_perl environment where
many of the same database queries are executed many times over. The new
support for prepared statements in PostgreSQL 7.3 will greatly enhance
performance by reducing the number of times each of those SQL
statements is prepared by PostgreSQL to once per Apache process -- for
the lifetime of the process.

These enhancements in PostgreSQL are great because they'll improve not
just the database, but all applications that are built upon it. The
speed with which PostgreSQL continues to develop and provide
trickle-down benefits to the applications that depend upon it is simply
second-to-none.

Regards,

David

PS: eWeek has covered Bricolage here: