Cluster/Replication

From: Sean Brown <sbrown(at)eaglepress(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Cluster/Replication
Date: 2007-10-19 16:43:40
Lists: pgsql-admin
I believe this has come up before, and I am still researching how to
do this and figured asking was probably a good idea as hopefully I
can either get some direction or someone can point me at something I
haven't seen yet.

We are setting up a new database system that is going to act as our
central database. We are planning to have a Master/Slave setup,
originally with one slave but there is a strong possibility of adding
a second slave at our second site. We could run Mulit-Master, it just
wasn't the original plan. (The original plan was MySQL log shipping).
We do not want the possibility of loosing data in the event of
loosing the master node so synchronous replication is preferable. We
are using BLOBS, so the replication has to be able to handle that.
The slave we want to have useable but it would be used for reporting
only under normal usage.

Slony is out because of the BLOB requirement and it's asynchronous.
We are looking at pgCluster, but the replication server looks like a
single point of failure itself. Also we're not really clear on how
the replication server or load balancer operates for determining the
load and size of the system it would have to run them on.

There are a few other things like how to handle postgresql version
upgrades but thats probably best left to specific forums once a
solution is chosen.

Is pgCluster the way to go or are there other projects we might want
to look at?

Thank you in advance.

pgsql-admin by date