Mac OS X 10.1 build bug - paths with spaces

From: Murray Todd Williams <MurrayTodd(at)mac(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Mac OS X 10.1 build bug - paths with spaces
Date: 2001-11-17 17:37:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.1.1 (Build 5M28)
PostgreSQL Version: CVS checkout as of Nov 17, 2001
Problem Category: Building

After running ./configure and then "make all" the build stopped with the
message

cc -traditional-cpp -g -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations -I../../../src/include -c -o analyze.o analyze.c
analyze.c:23: parser/parse.h: No such file or directory

I looked at the part of the build messages where parse.h is supposed to
get built and I didn't see any problems:

make -C parser parse.h
bison -y -d gram.y
mv -f y.tab.c ./gram.c
mv -f y.tab.h ./parse.h
prereqdir=`cd parser/ >/dev/null && pwd` && \
cd ../../src/include/parser/ && rm -f parse.h && \
ln -s $prereqdir/parse.h .

with no error messages.

The base directory of my build was /Volumes/SCSI Volume/devel/pgsql. I
had a wild hunch that the space in the "SCSI Volume" part of my path was
to blame, so I unpacked a clean copy of the source material to
/usr/local/src/pgsql (no spaces in path name), redid the ./configure and
make phase and all built fine.

Obviously this is hampering my development, but I figured I'd pass it
along since you never know who's going to get hit unawares with this.
(Especially those pesky Mac people who like spaces in their folder
names.)

Cheers!

Murray Todd Williams