Re: Updatable Cursors, CTID, and Views

From: Janet Borschowa <borschow(at)roguewave(dot)com>
To: Mark Dexter <MDEXTER(at)dexterchaney(dot)com>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: 'Dave Page' <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Updatable Cursors, CTID, and Views
Date: 2004-07-28 16:18:03
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,
I believe that Hiroshi probably used the ctid because views are not
updateable. It looks like you have to do extra work to update a view and in
that case, I'm not sure how a cursor in the driver would be implemented as
there needs to be a way to uniquely identify a row which is why Hiroshi used
the ctid column.

From the PostgreSQL docs for the SQL statement "CREATE VIEW":
Description

CREATE VIEW defines a view of a query. The view is not physically
materialized. Instead, the query is run every time the view is referenced in
a query.

Notes

Currently, views are read only: the system will not allow an insert, update,
or delete on a view. You can get the effect of an updatable view by creating
rules that rewrite inserts, etc. on the view into appropriate actions on
other tables. For more information see CREATE RULE.

Sorry I can't be of help but I don't know if or how you could define a view
with a ctid column and appropriate rules to enable the driver to use a
cursor on it.

Janet Borschowa
Software Engineer, Database Products
Rogue Wave Software, a QUOVADX(tm) Division
(541) 753-1931 FAX: (541) 757-4630
mailto:borschow(at)roguewave(dot)com <mailto:borschow(at)roguewave(dot)com>
http://www.roguewave.com <http://www.roguewave.com/>