Re: Selecting a constant question: A summary

From: "Larry McGhaw" <lmcghaw(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Selecting a constant question: A summary
Date: 2007-06-12 22:31:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

As Dann pointed out we were one of the first companies to port Postgres
to windows many many years ago (7.1 days), and part of that porting work
is in the current postgresql product.

As I pointed out in a prior post, for the ODBC specification at least
(probably others), a maximum upper bound on returned data *must* be
reported and determined ahead of time when using binding ... A technique
where the client application allocates memory for the data and supplies
a pointer to that memory location for the driver.

Postgres unlike other databases shifts the burden of determining this
maximum size to the client and/or driver. Our company specializes in
access to wide variety of databases, both relational and non relational,
including SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, Sybase, Informix, etc. Postgres
sticks out as the only database that we have encountered with this
behavior .. Which is why we posted the original message.

Also as Dann pointed out even if this issue was addressed, it does not
help us because every existing installation of Postgres has the metadata
bug, so we *have* to bandaid it at the client/driver level anyway.

At least we have a record of the issue, so the next time a developer in
the community runs across the same oddity hopefully they will find this
and won't be scratching their heads like we were for a bit :)

Thanks

lm