Re: Query

From: Travis Smith <tsmith(at)optionshouse(dot)com>
To: 'kartik' <kartik(at)v2technocrats(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org"<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query
Date: 2008-06-25 14:50:32
Lists: pgsql-admin
Out the box installation will get you a system up and running, from there you have a choice of tools you can use such as Navicat to connect to the database.   I am assuming you have networked machines.  You then can create a new database, tables and populate them with data.  The Oracle SGA is truthfully an Oracle feature as it is compromised of a group of Oracle specific structures.   A lot of the functionality you get from a SGA in Oracle is closely tied to the operating system with postgres.

Configuration files you can find in the data directory of your postgres installation, postgres.conf would be the most mappable conf file to a init.ora

Running the unix command find postgres.conf will be helpful.