Re: Finer Extension dependencies

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finer Extension dependencies
Date: 2012-03-29 17:48:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mar 29, 2012, at 4:42 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> 2. Add a new feature to the provides line with every release that does
> anything other than fix bugs, leading to:
>
> provides = foobar-1.1, foobar-1.2, foobar-1.3, foobar-1.4, foobar-1.5,
> foobar-1.6, foobar-2.0, foobar-2.1, foobar-2.2, foobar-2.3,
> foobar-3.0, foobar-3.1

This is what I have expected to do. In new releases of pgTAP, I’d probably just add version lines. I might give certain releases names, but probably not. I’m too lazy, and if a given release has more than one new feature, it’d be a bit silly.

I’ve never been very keen on this approach, but then I don’t understand packaging systems very well, so it might rock, and I just don’t know how to use it properly. But I cannot tell.

Best,

David