Re: Committed updates don't seem to be committed.

From: Frank Kurzawa <fkurzawa(at)topazsoftware(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: mike(at)thegodshalls(dot)com, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Committed updates don't seem to be committed.
Date: 2004-06-23 12:21:15
Lists: pgsql-novice
Let's assume that there is a bug in hibernate that is causing it to
start a transaction behind my back. I'm trying to understand what
footprints it would leave and I see three possibilities:
a) It later commits the transaction behind my back
b) It later rolls back the transaction behind my back
c) It just leaves the transaction uncommitted/unrolledback/just
dangling out there.

for a): I don't think this could be happening or my data would actually
be in the database
for b): I don't think this could be happening or I would see evidence
of the rollback in the pgsql log

That leaves (c): What would this look like?
If I do a 'ps -efl' should I find a postgres process in a particular
state? ('idle waiting on transaction', 'idle in transaction', or
something else)?
Should there be some other footprints lying around that I can look at?
Some record of the pending transaction in some postgres system tables?

...so call me clueless if you like, because I AM clueless. LOL

Regards,

Frank