pg_hba.conf file

From: "Robinson, Marlena CECOM RDEC I2WD" <Marlena(dot)Robinson(at)mail1(dot)monmouth(dot)army(dot)mil>
To: "'PGSQL Admin'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_hba.conf file
Date: 2000-08-17 17:41:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

hey I think I nuked my DB, can someone help?

Being the novice that I am (to put it lightly) I was messing around and
exploring files and I happened upon the file in subject line. I moved a #
sign, and saved. then I changed my mind about my bold little move and I put
it back, and saved again. I swear that is all I did.

I thought all was fine, but then when I went to: createdb [name]
or went to connect by typing : psql [name]

I get the following error:

Connection to database '[name]' failed.
Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for details.

I have wiped out all packages and re-installed the rpms from the disk, I
have overwritten all files, the last resort would be wiping out the Linux
install (I am of the windows generation) and putting 6.1 on all over again.

3 questions remain:

What should I do, how do I do it, and where is the postmaster log file?

Marlena