Max size for bytea type

From: "Do, Leon \(Leon\)" <leondo(at)alcatel-lucent(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL JDBC" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Max size for bytea type
Date: 2007-01-19 20:32:46
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Hello,

Can someone explain why I cann't get bytea data of more than 1998 bytes?
Below 1998 size is ok but I got exception if the size is at and above
1998.  I used jdbc-8.1-407.jdbc3.jar.

//setting bytea value.  Work fine
byte[] bdata = new byte[1998];
                    for (int b = 0; b < bdata.length; b++) {
                        bdata[b] = (byte) (b % Byte.MAX_VALUE);
                    }

                    ByteArrayInputStream is = new
ByteArrayInputStream(bdata);

                    prepstmt.setBinaryStream(1, is, bdata.length);

//getting bytea value.  Got error
ByteArrayInputStream s = (ByteArrayInputStream) rs
                                .getBinaryStream(1);

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException:
1998
	at org.postgresql.util.PGbytea.toBytes(PGbytea.java:39)
	at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.getBytes(AbstractJdbc2Result
Set.java:2048)
	at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.getBinaryStream(AbstractJdbc
2ResultSet.java:2168)

Thanks

Leon Do