variable date precision

From: christoph(dot)dellavalle(at)goetheanum(dot)ch
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: variable date precision
Date: 2003-10-16 06:07:01
Lists: pgsql-novice
hi there

i've got a problem with a field set up as type date.  now we discovered that we have to allow not only full dates (2003-10-16) but also dates where we have only a month or even a year.  we see that it is not a very good practice to use the first of the month because it is ambiguous. on the other side, date does not allow entries like "2003-10-00".

this db already contains quite a few records, so i'm not really keen on changing the data-type.  nevertheless, i'm interested in the theoretically correct solution as much as in a practical one, since it is not the first time i've come across this problem.

any suggestions are very welcome...

chris

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Desmond CoughlanDate: 2003-10-16 08:36:46