Re: correct behavior of ANALYZE ...

From: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: correct behavior of ANALYZE ...
Date: 2007-08-30 08:28:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

hi tom ...

the idea behind this is to disable the stats on a certain column
entirely.
this would give me more control about the plan. in this special case
data is changing so frequently that the default values are ways
better than trying to keep the "real" stats up to date.
in case of default value i know what the DB does given a certain
where clause - this is beyond my control when stats drop in.
i guess there are corner cases where no stats on certain fields can
definitely help to make plans a little bit more stable.

many thanks,

hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde & Schönig GmbH