Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?

From: "Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>,"Euler Taveira de Oliveira" <eulerto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>,"Jim Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>,"Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?
Date: 2006-01-03 22:33:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 12:08:46 -0600,
>   Larry Rosenman <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com> wrote:
>> The issue is folks that DON'T set reverse DNS, I.E. have generic
>> rDNS set on their IP's.
>>
>> I've seen (in my ISP days, and on my mailserver) LOTS of folks that
>> can't/won't update Their rDNS, even though it's a STATICLY assigned
>> address.
>>
>> And, as an example, my house IP changes when the PPPoE moves, and I
>> have a DynDns.org Hostname that changes to support that, as well as
>> a CNAME out of my domain to Point to it.
>
> Business class (or Speakeasy) broadband connections will generally
> allow you to have custom PTR records for static IP addresses. When
> using broadband for sheep, the ssh tunnel idea is probably a better
> solution.

Understood.  I was just pointing out the issue.  I have had to whitelist
some of my
mortgage brokers e-mail servers because they hadn't gotten rid of the
generic rDNS
for their mailserver.  I just wanted the issue to be in the archives
when/if people
don't like whatever gets committed/

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX  78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.459.1309
Email: Larry(dot)Rosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com
Web: www.pervasive.com

Subject: Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and