Re: can't cast char to in

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: blackwater dev <blackwaterdev(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: can't cast char to in
Date: 2008-04-22 15:42:46
Lists: pgsql-general
On Apr 22, 2008, at 10:34 AM, blackwater dev wrote:

> I have a table with a mileage column that is a character varying
> (please don't ask why :).
>
> I need to do a query where mileage > 500
>
> select * from cars where mileage>500
>
> So I need to cast it but everything I try throws an error such as :
>
> ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: "+"
>
> How can I cast this?

Well, you didn't really give any real information on the format of the
data in your mileage column.  However, my guess is that you've got at
least one row with just '+' in the mileage column which is not the
same thing as '+0'.  You'll probably need to do a little data cleaning
and, once that's done you should definitely consider switching that to
an integer/numeric data type.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com