dbi-link freezing up DBs, needing reboot

From: "Ow Mun Heng" <ow(dot)mun(dot)heng(at)wdc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: dbi-link freezing up DBs, needing reboot
Date: 2009-08-30 07:40:12
Lists: pgsql-general

I was playing around with dbi-link, hoping to get it connected to a teradata
database. However, before I dive into that, I figured that I might as well
try it out first on a PG Database (on another server)

So, it installed dbi-link fine.

I did a select on a 30GB table and it froze the Originating database and it
ALSO froze the foreign database.

Looking into the foreign box's logs, I see for some reason the network just
ceased to function? (can't be a coincidence?)

Aug 30 15:15:18 kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
Aug 30 15:15:18 kernel: r8169: eth0: link up

I then had to reboot the originating DB/box.

Once it got back up, I did a select on a very small table <1MB and the data
is returned properly and in timely fashion.

Then I tried it on a slightly bigger table --> 50MB and it froze again

select * from xmms_b4.log_update where record_update_date_time > '2009-08-30
10:00:00' and record_update_date_time < '2009-08-30 11:00:00' limit 10;
NOTICE: SELECT dbi_link.cache_connection( 2 ) at line 12.

#\d log_update;
Column | Type | Modifiers
-------------------------+-----------------------------+--------------------
----
job_name | text | not null
table_name | text | not null
from_date | timestamp without time zone | not null
to_date | timestamp without time zone |
rows_deleted | integer |
delete_duration | interval |
rows_inserted | integer |
insert_duration | interval |
rows_updated | integer |
update_duration | interval |
record_update_date_time | timestamp without time zone | not null default
now()

After 2 times of this happening, I'm really worried that it will do other
nasty things.

Help?

PS : dbi-link is, for me, ultimately to try if I can get it to connect to
teradata to pull some data on a daily basis. I currently use dblink for
pg-to-pg connections