Re: Transaction Log

From: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction Log
Date: 2003-06-05 18:16:24
Lists: sfpug
On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 11:04  AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>>> So, is there a postgresql.conf setting for the location of the WAL
>>> log
>>> or something?
>
> No, not yet.  In 7.4, there will be a compile-time option for the
> location.

Cool.

> You can symlink it, or mount it.   I use the latter method:

Thanks, noted.

> Also, I've found that 3-disk RAID 5 gives about the worst data writing
> performance on Postgresql of any disk configuation; about 1/3 the
> speed of
> raw SCSI, worse if WAL is on the same array.  Increasing the number of
> disks
> ... or switching to RAID 1+0 ... makes a large difference.

Actually, it turns out that it's RAID 5 with 4 disks. Should be better
performance then, I hope.

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

David

david(at)kineticode(dot)com                              ICQ: 15726394
http://kineticode.com/                         Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory(at)jabber(dot)org