Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, nhrcommu(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com
Subject: Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and
Date: 2006-02-11 03:45:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
That seems a bit unlikely.  PHP has been moving towards being DB
agnostic.  One of the discussed, though deferred plans for PHP 6 was
to move all non PDO db api's out of the core.

As far as AJAX+Oracle, I'm just wondering what kind of compelling
offering that would be that would coax PHP developers out of the
predominant open source db realm.  If it were to be anything of note,
it couldn't gain much audience if it were Oracle only.  Note that one
of the big initiatives going on at Zend right now is a Zend framework
that has tapped most of the noted php based framework authors out there.

I would guess the play is more in line to derail the Zend
relationship with IBM and the Zend+IBM  DB2 specific offerings.

The Sleepycat purchase seems to be more of the no-brainer boxing
MySQL into a corner.

Zend has commercial offerings, though I think they've struggled to
gain traction since they keep changing up the product offerings.
Last I heard Yahoo! has more of the PHP brain trust than Zend does,
if that helps clarify the impact to PHP any.

Gavin