Re: installation of postgresql8.0.1 on Solaris 10

From: "Politowicz, Phil" <philip(dot)politowicz(at)berbee(dot)com>
To: "olive Mckenzie" <olivemckenzie2003(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: installation of postgresql8.0.1 on Solaris 10
Date: 2005-11-21 13:29:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

Olive,
You must compile from source, as Mike has mentioned; 8.0.1 is not
certified on Solaris 10, and you must limit your functionality. If you
can at least try 8.0.3, please do so. If you compile from source, check
your gcc version. It must be at least as recent as that recommended in
the release notes.

You must tune the Solaris kernel, with the following entries in
/etc/system:
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0x2000000
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=256
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=256

set semsys:seminfo_semmap=256
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=512
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=512
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=32

Need a system reboot for these to take effect.

After unpacking the install files, I had to export CFLAGS="-O3", then
configured the makefile thus:

# ./configure --without-readline --enable-thread-safety
# gmake
# gmake install

I could not get Python, or Perl, or OpenSSL to work with this version.
Part of that was the absence of current versions of the modules, part
was the incompatibility issue.

Hope this helps.

Philip Politowicz