RE: [GENERAL] Relations between tables.

From: "Jackson, DeJuan" <djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>
To: christian <crr(at)freemail(dot)com(dot)br>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] Relations between tables.
Date: 1999-05-20 18:01:25
Lists: pgsql-general

> Being rather new to DBs in general, I wonder - is the relation constraint
> present in PostgreSQL?
Not in and of itself. The FOREIGN KEY CONSTRAINT syntax is parsed but not
implemented.
> Is this the same as relations I've seen under other databases ?
Should be.
> MS Access has to be a poor example but I've seen tables relationed between
> themselves.
MS Access is a very poor example of most things SQL92.

> Using a relation constraint, are tables tied together automatically, thus
> removing the need to use a 'WHERE table1.index = table2.t1index' in select
> clauses retreiving data in table2 and table1?
Nope this doesn't even happen in MS Access. If you build your query in
Access and look at the SQL (go to the View menu the select SQL) that's
generated you'll see that all Access is put that part of the WHERE clause in
for you. Most other databases aren't that presumptuous.

> christian
-DEJ