pg_restore error

From: "Curtis Mortensen" <shakiro2(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_restore error
Date: 2002-09-06 19:08:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

I've tried searching the archives for a solution to this, but I was unable
to find it. So, I hope you'll forgive my newbie question if it's been asked
before. I'm trying to backup a database on our company's server. First I
create the backup (pg_dump [databasename] > backup.dump) then I create a new
database [databasename2]. When I try to move the dump to the new database
(pg_restore [databasenam2] < backup.dump) it gives me this error:

pg_restore: [archiver] could not open input file: No such file or directory

I get the same even if I give the absolute path for backup.dump. I assume
that postgres is looking somewhere else for my file, but being fairly new to
SQL, I don't know where that is or where to find out. So, any help or hints
you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Curtis Mortensen