initdb Q rewritten please remove or ignore my last email

From: dx k9 <bitsandbytes88(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: posgres support <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: initdb Q rewritten please remove or ignore my last email
Date: 2009-01-09 21:20:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I recently initdb'd with pwfile to create a new instance. The command is below.
As the postgres user on the local server.

/usr/local/pgsql.v835/bin/initdb --pwfile=/home/postgres/pgp -D /data/Linux.pgsql/serray5432 -E UTF8

nromally use PAM as my METHOD in my hba files to allow ldap users and it works fine. Then again, I
normally don't initialize with --pwfile(wish I wouldn't have).

Using
--pwfile seems to have disabled my ability to use LDAP. I also noticed
the postgres user shows a MD5 hash in it's properties, which indicates it's using MD5(I would expect that since I initialized it with a password. I don't remember -W having that affect though.

Normally, when I add ldap users(new to the instance), I add a new login
via pgadmin with out a password. That works fine, but not
now.

Is it a known bug that initializing the db with --pwfile can cause pam
not to allow ldap communications or is that by design ? Is there
someway I can get ldap functioning again through PAM to get out of this mess?
Or is
re-initializing the db with out the --pwfile option my best bet? The only thing I
can think of is to specifically use ldap in the hba file instead of pam
and see if that works. I can get my new users to work by just adding
the password, but then I'm not using LDAP, which is what I want.

It is configured --with PAM
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql.v835 --with-includes=/usr/local/openssl-fips-1.2/include:/usr/local/include --with-libraries=/usr/local/openssl-fips-1.2/lib:/usr/local/lib --with-pam --with-openssl --with-pgport=5489 --with-perl

Thanks for any insight,
~DjK
Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.