ilike not using index.

From: Darryl Pye <darrylpye(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ilike not using index.
Date: 2010-06-15 06:53:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,
Index was working correctly in 8.4,I have upgraded to  version 9 as I require some of the new features and now the index doesn't work.
Probably something stupid I have forgotten to do when upgrading.

I have an index on a large  > 1million  records table.
CREATE INDEX "t1~index"  ON coop.t1 USING btree (full_name text_pattern_ops);

For any query the result set will always be small and I am also Limiting to  top 20 records.

When I use a  ilike   eg.
select * from t1 where full_name ilike 'test%' limit 20;
it always does a full scan and takes forever.

If I use like
select * from t1 where full_name like 'test%' limit 20;
 it uses the index.

Was working in 8.4.

I have tried recreating the index as well as all theses steps,
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/index.php?/archives/78-Why-is-my-index-not-being-used.html

but still cannot get it to work.

Regards,
Darryl

New, Used, Demo, Dealer or Private? Find it at CarPoint.com.au
http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/206222968/direct/01/

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Jasen BettsDate: 2010-06-15 09:14:57