Display message to user

From: "Bart van Houdt" <bart(dot)van(dot)houdt(at)syfact(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Display message to user
Date: 2008-11-04 12:31:56
Lists: pgsql-sql
Hi all,

I am a Postgres-newbie and working on porting our code from Oracle to

Oracle has a nice package procedure (dbms_output.put_line) to display a
message in SQL*Plus, which can display a message to the user. I use this
a lot, to notify users of the progress being made during the execution
of a script.

Is there a way to do this with Postgres as well?

I have tried using 'RAISE NOTICE', but using this some extra lines are
printed on screen. Those extra lines mess up the screen and will confuse
the users. The extra lines shown are:

CONTEXT:  SQL statement "SELECT  migration_pkg.time_migration( $1 ,  $2

PL/pgSQL function "check_migration" line 34 at PERFORM

Any help would be appreciated,

Bart van Houdt

Syfact International B.V.

Database developer

pgsql-sql by date

Next:From: Fernando HeviaDate: 2008-11-04 13:24:52