Database size

From: "Andrew Janian" <ajanian(at)scottrade(dot)com>
To: <psql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Database size
Date: 2004-09-12 05:56:32
Lists: pgsql-admin
I have recently inherited a Postgres 7.2 DB.  I noticed that the size of the database on the disk is about 100 times the size of the nightly dumps that get done.  I looked into it and realized that after millions of rows are deleted each month there was no vacuum full performed on the DB.  I also noticed that the disk space was not recovered to the OS.  I assumed that was because there was no vacuum full being performed.  I am currently performing a vacuum full and noticing that no space is being recovered.  Is it normal for a DB to be that much bigger than it's dumps?

Thanks,

Andrew Janian

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: C. BensendDate: 2004-09-12 16:55:39