Can autovacuum result in large surges in WAL files

From: Todd Gugler <tgugler11(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Can autovacuum result in large surges in WAL files
Date: 2011-05-03 17:22:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a Postgres 8.3 system that is configured to run autovacuum. It triggered a vacuum analyze on multiple tables and since this started, we are getting large numbers of WAL files generated about every 15 minutes or so. This same vacuum appears to continuing to run. Other database activity is at its usual levels. Should a vacuum analyze lead to large amounts of data being written to WAL files? We are seeing 10x the number WAL files that we would expect.

Any ideas on the best approach to diagnose what is going on?