Re: JDBC and GSSAPI/Krb5

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Koczan <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC and GSSAPI/Krb5
Date: 2008-01-30 16:35:04
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
On Jan 30, 2008, at 12:59 AM, Kris Jurka wrote:

> Additionally there is a means of providing this configuration in
> code form (which I've yet to test), but that only works on 1.5+
> while GSSAPI works on 1.4 as well.  Further as you can tell from
> the above configuration, it's specific to the JVM you're running
> on.  You wouldn't use com.sun.* on a non-Sun JVM.  Finally people
> may want different options enabled in the config, so hardcoding
> this doesn't work from that perspective either:

I wouldn't worry toooo much about 1.4.  It has a lot of issues,
including only supporting single DES encryption types.  The only
"current" platform I deal with that uses 1.4 is Solaris 9, and it's
pretty easy to provide a newer JVM on a Sun.

Ideally the code should provide reasonable (overwriteable) defaults
wherever possible.

More later.
Henry(dot)B(dot)Hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu