Getting "FATAL: unexpected data beyond EOF in block 1 of relation 1663/1/1255/0" on Mac OS during initdb

From: Julius Stroffek <Julius(dot)Stroffek(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Getting "FATAL: unexpected data beyond EOF in block 1 of relation 1663/1/1255/0" on Mac OS during initdb
Date: 2008-11-07 13:22:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Hi All,

I getting the following error output (see below) on mac os while
running initdb on the latest CVS. The 8.3.5-1 one-click installer
binary works fine. Is this a bug or I have something wrong in my
kernel setup? Thank you.

Cheers

Julo

/etc/sysctl.conf:
kern.sysv.shmmax=33554432
kern.sysv.shmmin=1
kern.sysv.shmmni=256
kern.sysv.shmseg=64
kern.sysv.shmall=81920

And the output I am getting:

netopier-mac:~ julo$ initdb -D test.db
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"julo".

The database cluster will be initialized with locales
   COLLATE:  C
   CTYPE:    UTF-8
   MESSAGES: C
   MONETARY: C
   NUMERIC:  C
   TIME:     C
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to UTF8.
initdb: could not find suitable text search configuration for locale
UTF-8
The default text search configuration will be set to "simple".

creating directory test.db ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers ... 28MB
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in test.db/base/1 ... FATAL:  unexpected
data beyond EOF in block 1 of relation 1663/1/1255/0
HINT:  This has been seen to occur with buggy kernels; consider
updating your system.
PANIC:  cannot abort transaction 1, it was already committed
child process was terminated by signal 6: Abort trap
initdb: removing data directory "test.db"
netopier-mac:~ julo$

pgsql-bugs by date

Subject: Re: BUG #4509: array_cat's null behaviour is inconsistent