Re: Can't get more than 255 chars out of memo field in Acc

From: Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Can't get more than 255 chars out of memo field in Acc
Date: 2002-11-27 18:24:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc

11/27/2002 10:46:51 AM, Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

>This raises an issue for Access developers which, in
>spite of searching archives, FAQs etc. I have not seen
>explicitly stated anywhere.
>
>I have found that, to be able to use both "text" and
>"memo" types within Access, linking to tables in a
>PostgreSQL database, the following must be done:
>* table definitions in PostgreSQL must use "varchar"
>for fields desired to be "text" in Access, and "text"
>for fields desired to be "memo" in Access, and:
>* "Text As LongVarChar" must be checked in the DSN.

This turns out to be what my problem is I think. I do have the attribute defined as a 'text'
type in my postgres table definition but when linked to Access it still appears as 'text' in the table
definition. When I try to alter this setting to memo in Access it complains that it "can't save property
changes for linked tables". How to I get Access to recognize my Postgres 'text' attributes as memo
fields?

thanx & later,

Ben Scherrey