Re: SP-GiST for ranges based on 2d-mapping and quad-tree

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SP-GiST for ranges based on 2d-mapping and quad-tree
Date: 2013-03-03 17:42:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 02/09/2013 05:36 PM, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
>

> Your comments and refactoring looks good for me.
>
> This patch is currently flagged as waiting for author. Have you had a
> chance to test and examine Jeff's changes in more detail? Would you
> consider giving us a summary of the status of this work - do you think you
> can have it production-ready within a week or two, with all necessary tests
> and documentation.
>

> Note that Jeff wrote:
>

> Please take a look and see if it still matches your algorithm properly.
> This patch is not intended to be a final version (I didn't analyze my
> code carefully), but just to show you what I mean and how I interpret
> what the code is trying to do.
>

> ... so it's clear that you need to read the patch in detail and make any
> desired edits, re-test, and go from there.
>
> I see a couple of changes to the regression tests. Do you need any
> documentation changes for this too? Any user-visible effects other than
> performance?

This patch only adds one more operator to already committed new opclass.
Tests already cover this case. Without patch corresponding test leads to
sequential scan instead of index scan. However, I can't see any
documentation changes about already committed opclass. I think we need a
documentation update as an separate patch.
Jeff changes only does comments changes and renaming, I don't need to
examine them more.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.