Choosing between Intel 320, Intel 510 or OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for db server

From: Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Choosing between Intel 320, Intel 510 or OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for db server
Date: 2011-10-24 14:09:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello

I need to choose between Intel 320 , Intel 510 and OCZ Vertex 3 SSD's for my
database server. From recent reading in the list and other places, I have
come to understand that OCZ Vertex 3 should not be used, Intel 510 uses a
Marvel controller while Intel 320 had a nasty bug which has been rectified.
So the list narrows down to only 510 and 320, unless I have understood the
OCZ Vertex reviews incorrectly.

The server would itself be built along these lines: Dual CPU Xeon 5620, 32
or 48 GB RAM, 2 SAS 10K disk in RAID 1 for OS, 2 SAS 10K disk in RAID 1 for
pg_xlog and 4 SSD in RAID 10 for data directory (overkill??). OS would be
FreeBSD 8.2 (I would be tuning the sysctl variables). PG version would be
9.1 with replication set to another machine (Dual CPU Xeon 54xx, 32 GB RAM,
6 15K SAS 146 GB: 4 in RAID 10 for data and 2 in RAID 1 for OS + pg_xlog).
The second machine hosts my current db , and there is not much of an issue
with the performance. We need better redundancy now(current was to take a
dump/backup every 12 hours), so the new machine.

My database itself is not very big, approx 40 GB as of now, and would not
grow beyond 80 GB in the next year or two. There are some tables where
insert & updates are fairly frequent. From what I could gather, we are not
doing more than 300-400 tps at the moment, and the growth should not be very
high in the short term.

Hope someone can give some pointers to which SSD I should go for at the
moment.

Amitabh