Re: Search path in connection string

From: Valentine Gogichashvili <valgog(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Julien Demoor <jdemoor(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Search path in connection string
Date: 2012-07-31 19:40:11
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Julien Demoor <jdemoor(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> 2012/7/31 Valentine Gogichashvili <valgog(at)gmail(dot)com>
>> Hello Julien,
>> As normally you would always use a connection pool (like BoneCP or
>> c3p0), you can easily configure an InitSQL property to initialize your
>> connection as needed.
>> Note that JDBC driver for now does not support search_path at all, as the
>> OID cache lookup is not taking it into an account. So prepare for some
>> crazy problems when for example returning a type that exists in several
>> schemas with the same name.
>> With best regards,
>> -- Valentine
> Hello Valentine,
> I'll see if connection pools are available with BIRT (I'm using the
> integrated web viewer so I can't go around its limitations).
> Thanks for the tip regarding the support for the search_path. Should I
> expect issues if the types that share a name across schemas have the same
> definition?
> Regards,
> Julien

Hello Julien,

You can always write a simple wrapper, that will override getConnection()
and preinizialize there as needed.

The problem is now, that OID cache for types does not take into an account
search_path at all. So if you have 2 types, that have the same name in 2
different schemas, one of them will be taken practically randomly, and if
you do not have luck, it will take the wrong one and postgres will throw a
crazy exception when the driver will try to use the wrong OID when passing
this type as a parameter for example.

But it is very easy to patch the driver in case you will get such a
problem. I suggested one quick-n-dirty patch once, and filed a bug report
without a patch... (, but both
messages had been ignored unfortunately.

You can have a look in wich case I am getting a problem there here:

-- Valentin